Mediterranean Pasta Salad
Servings: 6 - 8
- 1/2 lb short pasta, such as penne rigate
- 1 (14 oz) can quartered artichoke hearts in brine, rinsed well, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup good-quality Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in extra-virgin olive oil with Italian herbs (reserve the oil for the dressing), chopped small
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup GO Veggie! Dairy Free Grated Parmesan Topping
- 6 Tbsp sundried tomato oil
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave (see Note)
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl.
Once the pasta is cool, give it a quick rinse under cold water so the noodles don’t stick together; drain it well, and add it to the bowl with the dressing. Add the artichoke hearts, onion, parsley, olives, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, and GO Veggie! Dairy Free Grated Parmesan Topping, and gently toss to combine.
Maple Syrup: If keeping this dish vegan isn’t a concern, you can use 1 Tbsn raw, local honey instead.
To Make This Salad a Day Ahead: Leave out the parsley, pine nuts, and GO Veggie! Dairy Free Grated Parmesan Topping; cover and refrigerate overnight. Toss these ingredients into the salad right before serving.
Recipe by Faith Gorsky, An Edible Mosaic