Cornmeal and Herb-Crusted Tofu Feta Croquettes (gluten-free)
Servings: about 15 small croquettes
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons neutral tasting high-heat oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light miso paste (non-barley)
- 1 heaping tablespoon GO Veggie! Brand vegan cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal, plus1⁄2 cup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting high-heat oil
In a large bowl, crumble tofu with your hands. Add oregano, thyme, brown rice syrup, lemon juice and zest, oil, sea salt, black pepper, miso, cream cheese, vinegar and 1⁄2 cup cornmeal. Stir until well mixed.
In a separate shallow dish, add remaining 11⁄2 cup cornmeal, oregano, basil, sea salt and black pepper. Mix until uniform.
Using hands, form tofu-feta mixture into small patties and coat each patty in cornmeal mixture. Pat off any excess cornmeal.
Heat a large sauté pan and add 2 tablespoons high-heat oil. Add croquettes and over medium heat, cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes, or until browned and crisp.