Caramelized Pineapple Grilled Cheese with Honeyed Walnuts
"The cream cheese adds silky smooth texture and the mozzarella adds great flavor and melts into the perfect grilled cheese."
Caramelized Pineapple Grilled Cheese:
6 (1/4-inch thick) slices of fresh pineapple (peel the pineapple before slicing it cross-wise)
8 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
8 teaspoons unsalted butter
8 tablespoons GO Veggie! Vegan Classic Plain Cream Cheese
4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons honey
1 to 3 teaspoons water
- Cut each pineapple slice in half. Preheat a large dry nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the pineapple slices and cook until slightly softened and browned in spots, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pineapple to a plate.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Place 4 slices of bread (butter side down) on a cutting board. Spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese on top of each, and then top each with 3 slices of caramelized pineapple and 2 slices of mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining slices of bread on top (butter side up).
- Grill the sandwiches in a large skillet (or on a griddle) over low heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden on both sides.
- For the honeyed walnuts, add the walnuts, honey, and enough water to slightly thin it out to small saucepan. Bring up to a simmer over medium heat and cook 1 minute.
- To serve, transfer each sandwich
Recipe by An Edible Mosaic