BBQ-Style Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Basil
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 2 teaspoons neutral tasting oil (safflower)
- ½ brown onion, cut into thin slices
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce
- 4 slices GO Veggie! Dairy Free American Flavor Slices
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 8 slices organic whole grain bread or sourdough
- 16 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
Caramelized Onions Instructions:
Heat a large sauté pan over a medium flame.
Add oil and onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add sea salt, pepper, maple syrup and lemon juice.
Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Grilled Cheese Assembly Instructions:
Heat a griddle to medium heat.
Butter each piece bread with vegan butter.
Place bread on griddle and smooth BBQ sauce over 4 slices of bread.
Top each piece bread with 1 slice GO Veggie! Dairy Free American Flavor Slices and then top with caramelized onions and 2 pieces basil.
Enclose with remaining 4 slices bread and grill until golden, about 3 minutes per side.